Sunday, February 17, 2008

Every couple of months I find myself, like a child, nose against the window (almost) waiting for the postman to arrive in hopes that my new issue of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion will be arriving in the mail. Day after day until....finally... it's here. Like a letter from an old friend I gather it from the box. Shuffling all of the other mail aside I drop into my favorite comfy old chair and begin to turn the pages. This magazine is full of artful inspiration for all.
Once inside, I find what reminds me of the "Martha Stewart Living" magazines of old (10 years ago or better) before less content and more advertisement.
"Just a Note to say Hello..." a regular feature which includes some thoughtful words from Mary. There is usually a darling illustration included on that page. The content of the letter is an abridged version of what is to come within the pages of that issue.
She will often include a section on collecting. Anything from plates to doorstops. All of which inspire me to look at things differently and find beauty in the unusual.
There is often an article which might feature a worthy cause from feeding the hungry, helping a neighbor in need or adopting a gentle greyhound. Every magazine should devote a page for goodness sake!
A favorite section of mine describes a duo of friends, and/or Sisters, heading out for some "together time" with a photographer in tow. I love to see where they end up in each issue. Much to my delight...I recognize a favorite store or vacation locale. Once while reading this feature I received a call from my OWN sister asking if I had received my issue of Mary's magazine along with instructions to turn to a certain page...My sister and I have had the good fortune of being able to travel together from time to time and have visited many of the featured locales..
There's always a section devoted to a featured artist whom Mary Engelbreit herself admires such as Joan Walsh Anglund. It is fun to find out from whom Mary is inspired.
You will find each and every issue filled with lovely detailed photos. In most issues, there are at least 2 homes featured. Both of which have the ability to arouse the decorating wannabe in us all (you may not want to admit it but it's there).The first is generally an older style home creatively painted and decorated right down to the smallest detail, while the second seems to be more upscale like something you might find on the French countryside.. Whatever your decorating style, be it Country, Southwest, Shabby Chic, etc...You will probably find it touched on in this magazine. A little something for everyone.
At the conclusion of her magazine you will always find a paper doll. One of her signature illustrations, Ann Estelle, or one of Ann's many friends. I usually find my 6 year old peering around behind me just to get a glimpse of the doll contained within.
Finally, like a letter from an old friend, the last page has been read. I place it on the table beside my sun drenched chair and look forward to the day when I can find the time to open and read from it again, dog eared pages and all.

No comments: